Lead provincial department in the coordination, collaboration, and facilitation of cooperative governance in building a
globally competitive and people-driven Gauteng City-Region.
In pursuit of our vision of cooperative governance, COGTA shall:
• Support, facilitate, coordinate, and regulate inter-sphere and cross-departmental integrated planning, budgeting,
• Monitor, evaluate and report on local government performance in order to achieve an accountable, stable, efficient,
effective and resilient, activist and ethical local government and empowered communities.
The mandate of the department highlights cooperative governance, and is essential for integrated development. The
department provides support to and monitors municipalities and tribal authorities by:
• Monitoring the municipalities and traditional authorities’ development and performance;
• Supporting local authorities where there are capacity constraints;
• Promoting capacity development in a systematic manner, to ensure that municipalities are able to manage their own
• Advising, commenting on and approving Integrated Development Plans (IDP’s);
• Providing key support services to municipalities in implementing the Municipal Finance Management Act (No. 56 of
2003) (MFMA) and supporting Community Development Workers (CDW’s);
• Intervening where local authorities fail to perform their designated functions and mandates; and
• Strengthening the functioning of Municipal Public Accounts Committees.
The Estimates of Provincial Revenue and Expenditure (EPRE) sets out the detailed spending plans of each government department for the coming year.
National Treasury, departments and commitees are busy with different things depending on the time of year:
Interested in finding out how the South African budget process works? Learn about the budget process, how it relates to our constitution and the role that it plays in a modern d...
The South African Constitution has several provisions that support people’s participation in areas of democratic governance. One such area of participation is in the allocation ...