A modern and transformative legislature that fosters public pride and confidence in democracy and enhances service
delivery to the people of Gauteng.
In observing our constitutional obligations, Gauteng Provincial Legislature (GPL):
• Is a modern and dynamic African Legislature of the 21st century;
• Is a caring, responsive, activist and transformative Legislature;
• Reflects the values, aspirations and cultures of the South African people;
• Is the most competent, accessible, transparent and accountable Legislature;
• Fosters ethical and good governance;
• Attracts, develops, and retains skilled and professional staff; and
• Recognises staff contributions, rewards their achievements and provide a stimulating environment.
The core functions of the Gauteng Provincial Legislature are clearly defined in Section 114 of the Constitution of the
Republic of South Africa. The GPL is entrusted with the following responsibilities: facilitating law-making; ensuring public
participation in the legislative processes; and exercising oversight over the executive and the organs of the state. The GPL is
also responsible for furthering cooperative governance between provincial, national and local legislative institutions.
The Estimates of Provincial Revenue and Expenditure (EPRE) sets out the detailed spending plans of each government department for the coming year.
National Treasury, departments and commitees are busy with different things depending on the time of year: