The Limpopo Legislature seeks to be a representative and consultative body, a vanguard of
people’s aspirations and interests towards a democratic, non-sexist, non-racial, united and
The Legislature is an autonomous institution and an agent for transformation that strives to:
• Defend, strengthen, deepen and maint
• ain democracy;
• Make quality laws and policies for the citizens of the province;
• Have an effective and meaningful participation of the citizens in the law-making processes;
• Articulate the needs and desires of the citizens of the province;
• Be a transparent, consultative and accountable institution;
• Maintain norms set nationally for the eradication of racism and gender imbalances;
• Have a representative and accountable budget; and
• Ensure provision, retention of competent skills and efficient utilization of human resources
• Exercise oversight over the executive arm of government, provide financial and
administrative support to political parties represented in the Legislature and provide effective
management and support to Members of the Legislature.
The core functions of the Legislature are :
• Oversight over the executive arm of government.
• Law making.
• Public Participation and Petition.
• Consider, pass, amend or reject any bill before the Legislature with the exclusion of money
• Ensures that all provincial executive organs of state in the province are accountable. This is
done through oversight.
• Facilitate public involvement in its processes and committees through public participation and
• Provide financial and administrative assistance to each party represented in the Legislature.
The Estimates of Provincial Revenue and Expenditure (EPRE) sets out the detailed spending plans of each government department for the coming year.
National Treasury, departments and commitees are busy with different things depending on the time of year:
Interested in finding out how the South African budget process works? Learn about the budget process, how it relates to our constitution and the role that it plays in a modern d...
The South African Constitution has several provisions that support people’s participation in areas of democratic governance. One such area of participation is in the allocation ...